The first version of the Boughton chicken house was designed and built by Rob Pellett in 1980. Its elegant design has stood the test of time and has become a chicken house design classic.
Space efficient - The Boughton uses less space than other traditional arks because the sleeping area is located directly over the run. This design also means the chickens are protected from the sun and rain. The raised sleeping area works with chickens' natural instinct to go up to roost at night.
Easy to clean - The Boughton chicken house has full length side doors which allow easy access to the inside of the house. The removable perching ladder means you can get into all areas of the house when cleaning. The Boughton is easy to move around the garden and has stout carrying handles.
Free range run door - You can access all areas of the run using the handy doors at each end. This makes it very easy to catch a chicken, let them out of the run, or top up the feeders and drinkers.
Secure fox-proof house - The house has an easy to use, hinged ladder which may be drawn up to secure the birds at night. The house is so secure that we actually supplied it to The Big Breakfast Show on Channel 4 when the fox got into their previous house!
Easy egg collection - The nesting box is located at the end of the ark and has an external egg collecting door. It is very easy for children to use – so they can run down in the morning to collect the eggs. The unique nesting box night-shutters stop the chickens sleeping in the nesting box at night, dramatically reducing the amount of droppings that the chickens leave in the nest box and cutting down on egg cleaning time.
Long lasting pressure treated wood - All Forsham chicken houses are built to last. The Boughton is constructed using thick, strong, fully planed and pressure treated ship lap, which means that your chicken house will last for years to come. All the fixings and furniture are zinc plated.
- Hen Rescue Review by EBAttwood
- I have had a Boughton range Ark for nearly 3 years now and am extremely happy with it, I only experienced difficulties with it when I tried to build another nest box at the other end. Thats another story I am so very pleased with this ark.. I have rescued some 9 chickens at a time from the local RSPCA and have had eggs from them within a week. Unfortunately the local fox has discovered our presence and therefore I am without chickens at present but this will change in the next few weeks ( I hope) When originally I ordered the Boughton Ark I had intended to have 4 chickens at the most being a two person family and wanting to do my bit for rescue went to the local RSPCA and ended up with 1 bantham and 4 hybrids the bantham was unwell from the start necessesating returning her to the centre but the other hybrids were soon joined by 5 others. Thanks. (Posted on 18/10/2011)
- Fantastic Review by Mary Waller
- Fantastic product - have just assembled our Boughton and were amazed at the quality. 'Flat packed' usually means holes don't line up, pieces vary, cracks, etc, -not in this case! Our hens are now pampered pets! (Posted on 18/10/2011)
- Thank you! Review by Newsham
- Just a brief note to say thank you for the safe and prompt delivery of our new boughton. The new house was very smart and it has exceeded expectations. Thank you. (Posted on 10/10/2011)